Sunday, November 22, 2015

First (and maybe only) Post. Explaining some choices from my Regionals Team.

Hi everyone! For those of you that don't know, my name is Paul Chua and I play Pokemon. I decided to make this blog because I think it might be easier for me to just explain some random things that pop up in my mind. So, for my first post, I decided I'll show the team I used to get 2nd at Lancaster Regionals with explanations of some move choices and maybe EV spreads if there really is anything to talk about. So uh, let's start.

Here is the team, with things I think are important bolded:
tyranitar_xy_icon
Tyranitar @ Lum Berry 
Ability: Sand Stream 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SpD 
Adamant Nature 
- Rock Slide 
- Crunch 
- Low Kick 
- Protect 

Tyranitar is what makes this version of CHALK different from the others. My reasoning for using Tyranitar on this team is that I live in the Northeast area of the US. At the time I was creating this team, there was a large increase in the amount of Calm Mind Cresselia. Knowing this, I knew I needed something to help my matchup against this. As a result, I decided to put Tyranitar on the team. Tyranitar was able to decrease the amount of health recovered from Moonlight as well as be able to do a lot of damage with Crunch while Cresselia struggles to do as much damage as Tyranitar does. Aside from being able to handle Cresselia, Tyranitar also helps my matchup against Rain/Sun. Being able to change the weather allows me to weaken the attacks that would normally be boosted from the weather, such as Solar Beam or even Scald. Now with the explanation of why I chose to use Tyranitar done, let's talk about the set I used. As you can see, this Tyranitar has a relatively simple EV spread, this is because I wanted Tyranitar to hit as hard as possible, but also be as bulky as possible. I did not want to use a Choice Scarf version because I knew I also needed a way to function under TR easily. The Lum Berry might be an interesting item to some. Usually, people lean more towards using Life Orb in order to increase damage output. However, I decided to use Lum Berry because I did not like the recoil damage Life Orb does as well as being able to recover from a burn, paralysis, or even a freeze seemed a lot better than getting extra damage. Nowadays, I do regret using Tyranitar because it created a larger weakness to Water and Fighting. Being weak to water also made it harder to deal with Bulky Waters such as Milotic, making me have to conserve Kangaskhan in order to do reliable damage. I have been experimenting different options such as Thundurus and Azumarill, but none seem to fit my interest.

heatran_xy_icon
Heatran @ Shuca Berry 
Ability: Flash Fire 
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe 
Modest Nature
 
- Heat Wave 
- Earth Power 
- Flash Cannon 
- Protect 

Next up is Heatran. Nothing too important to say as to why I chose Heatran other than its typing and ability make it good for switch ins. The few things that might seem interesting on this particular Heatran is the EV spread of maximum speed and maximum Special Attack, but with a Modest nature instead of Timid. My reasoning for using a Modest nature is simply because this was pretty much the only Heatran I had in my game. Aside from that, I liked being able to do as much damage as I could with Heatran and I never really found myself in a Heatran mirror, so running a Timid Nature did not seem that important to me. Shuca Berry is a pretty basic item, allows me to take Earth Powers and Earthquakes at full health. The only uncommon choice on the moveset, in my opinion, is Flash Cannon. The reason why is because I found that I often had a hard time to hit fairy types, Pokemon that traced Flash Fire, or even an Air Balloon Heatran. Having Flash Cannon allowed me to be able to get some damage on these Pokemon.

kangaskhan_xy_icon
Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite 
Ability: Scrappy 
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe 
Adamant Nature
 
- Fake Out 
- Low Kick 
- Return 
- Sucker Punch 

Now we move on to what I consider the best Pokemon in the game. Kangaskhan is such a powerful pokemon, being able to hit a target twice with powerful moves. The moves and item are pretty much self explanatory, I chose Fake Out because I liked being able to use it in order to apply pressure on my opponents. Return was chosen over Double Edge because I did not like the recoil damage that happens just for a little boost in power. Low Kick was chosen this way I can take out Pokemon that were weak to fighting as soon as possible, as well as I did not like using Power-Up Punch due to its low base power. The one thing that people might ask about is the use of 252 Speed and 252 Attack but I have an Adamant Nature instead of a Jolly Nature. My reasoning for this is because I wanted Kangaskhan to be able to do as much damage as possible, while still trying to be able to do it as fast as it could. Using the Adamant Nature allowed the highest possible damage, as well as the max speed allows me to go before a majority of Pokemon because Mega Kangaskhan itself is pretty fast, I did not feel like I needed the extra speed. Also, the next Pokemon I will talk about is Cresselia, which knows Trick Room. This allows me to attack first under Trick Room if I know that the Kangaskhan is a Jolly Nature.

cresselia_xy_icon
Cresselia @ Sitrus Berry 
Ability: Levitate 
Level: 50 
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Def / 248 SpA / 4 Spe 
Modest Nature 
- Psychic 
- Ice Beam 
- Hidden Power [Ground] 
- Trick Room 

Now, onto Cresselia. Cresselia is a Pokemon that can have a lot of variations and this is what makes it, in my opinion, the most versatile member of a CHALK team. I decided to run a Trick Room variation because the team itself seemed kind of slow, so I decided to take advantage of that and have Trick Room in order to make Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Amoonguss to become immediate threats. My Cresselia in particular, aside from having Trick Room, also is a very offensive variation, as seen by the maximum Special Attack. This was more of a personal preference because I did not really like Calm Mind variations or other variations because I did not like the amount of set up it did or the lack of damage they provide. As exaplained before, I used maximum Special Attack in order to do as much damage as I could. However, as the rest of the EV spread goes, I have no idea as to what it does. Apparently, the EV spread is the one BIDC used at worlds. I already explained why I use Trick Room, and Psychic and Ice Beam seem self explanatory. Ice Beam was used instead of Icy Wind this way I can do a more damage as well as Icy Wind conflicts with Trick Room. Hidden Power Ground is the most interesting choice on this. I decided to run Hidden Power, even though I have 2 other Pokemon that know Ground type moves, is that I still wanted a decent way to hit some Pokemon that counter Cresselia, such as Heatran and Aegislash. This came in handy in my top 8 match against Justin Burns at Lancaster regionals. In that scenario, it was Cresselia and Amoonguss under Trick Room against his Heatran. It seemed like a very tough decision to get out of, but with the use of Hidden Power I was able to handle the Heatran fairly easily as it stays asleep.

landorus-therian_xy_icon
Landorus-Therian @ Focus Sash 
Ability: Intimidate 
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe 
Adamant Nature 
- Earthquake 
- Rock Slide 
- U-turn 
- Protect  
 
Landorus is another Pokemon that people can consider to be "overpowered". With access to intimidate and a decent typing, its no question as to why a lot of people use it on their teams. As with Cresselia, Landorus also has many variations, such as Life Orb, Choice Scarf, Choice Band, or even Assault Vest. Mine, however is using a Focus Sash. My reasoning for a Focus Sash also goes along with my decision to run Protect. The reason why I chose to give my Landorus a focus Sash is because I wanted this Landorus to stay with me for as long as possible until I no longer needed it. The Focus Sash allowed me to be guaranteed to survive 2 attacks, which meant that I can still use it in the later game to finish the job or even survive attacks it would not normally survive such as Ice Beams from Cresselia. Another reason why is because I liked to have Protect on Landorus. Landorus is one of the most common targets in a battle because of how good it is. Having Protect allowed me to make any double target on it useless, which allowed the partner Pokemon to deal some damage without losing anything. It is also a nice surprise factor in best of 1 play because everyone assumes you do not run Protect. Moves are pretty simple, with U-Turn being chosen because I liked being able to switch to regain momentum as well as switch out of Shadow Tag.

amoonguss_xy_icon
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet 
Ability: Regenerator 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD 
Calm Nature 
- Spore 
- Rage Powder 
- Giga Drain 
- Protect
Onto the last member, Amoonguss. Amoonguss is the form of redirection I chose to use. Unlike the other Pokemon that have something special about them, this one is rather basic. Not much to say about it other than I used a Calm nature because I felt comfortable with taking physical attacks thanks to Intimidate. As with Cresselia, I do not know what the EV spread does, or if this is even the correct EV spread.  If I did have something to say about this Amoonguss, it would be that I wish I replaced with anyhting. The reason why is because I never really bring Amoonguss and it just stays on my team in team preview and never gets sent out. I have been testing replacements, such as Azumarill and Togekiss, but none of them seem to really work for me.

So that's pretty much it. While this is a really generic team, I enjoyed using it and still like to mess around with it to this day. I have used this team since the beginning of October, and have gotten 2nd at Regionals as well as winning 3 Premier Challenges. If you have any questions, or want an explanation of any other teams I have used in the past, feel free to ask! Until next time, if there is a next time, see you around!

















 

No comments:

Post a Comment